Pages

Saturday 5 June 2010

11 and 12

Last night I was lucky enough to be present at the opening night of 11 and 12. I have read several reviews this morning and they tend to blab on about Peter Brook and what he did or didn't do with this play. But at the end of the day you want to know whether I would recommend you go and see it!
When I go to see a show of any sorts I like to go in cold, this way I have nothing influencing me about how I should or shouldn't feel. However, I would recommend that you read the story of Tierno Bokar first to give you some background. Peter Brooks has stripped the story to the bare bones and if you loose concentration for a second I think you could be completely lost. Everything is minimalistic the set, the cast and the costumes. This is not necessarily a bad thing; the set served it's purpose, it set the scene, as did the costumes. The cast on the whole played out the multiple characters well. The lack of french accents however did annoy me especially as one of the cast is French. Also, I thought that one of the scenes at the French Administration not true to the period, the way the French Administration slouched and stood with his hands in his pockets and the sudden use of Fuck. Pre WW2 for a person of prominence I doubt this would have been in character.
There was a good use of music (though please cut the singing)throughout the play which helped add to the atmosphere. It was performed live on stage by Toshi Tsuchitori who played an array of Japanese instruments, which I did think was a little odd when the story is set in Africa!
The story of Tierno Bokar by Marie-Helene Estienne is thought provoking. The effect the French had in Africa and the religious conflict. It was something I hadn't even thought of before and if nothing else I feel a little wiser.
I wouldn't say not to go and see it but if you are looking for a great wow factor, leaving you with the feeling of jumping for joy don't go. However, if you want to go away feeling calm and and slightly bemused then this is for you!

No comments: