Pages

Friday 27 September 2013

Rumpelstiltskin - Review


Rumpelstiltskin at the Marian Street Theatre For Young People
Reviewed by Regina Su
Rumpelstiltskin is now playing at the Marian Street Theatre For Young People from the 21st of September until the 23rd of November. Supported by a cast of young people, Wendy Blaxland’s adaptation of the age-old tale of ‘Rumpelstiltskin’, makes the story accessible to anyone of any age. Unfortunately, I do not lie between the 3-10year old target age bracket, however from an adult’s perspective, I found the production innovative, fun and although I am aware of the Brother’s Grimm tale, I was curious to watch more.

There was a little boy, aged 5(ish?) who sat next to me and became my narrator throughout the second half of the play. He informed me earnestly of inconsistencies between the performance and the fairytale, inconsistencies such as the introduction of new characters like Cheesewit, (a mouse played by Jordan Hare,) and The Removalists, who aided with swift and often hilarious scene changes. In fact, it was these additions that brought well-worn tale to life and added much needed humour, visual antics and slapstick, which the children could connect to. The little boy informed me that “the mouse isn’t in my book at home, but she’s the best part” so, commendations to the minor leads.

When I attend a children’s production, I often look for little morsels for adults, some incentive for the adults to bring their kids. While there weren’t many attempts at mature humour, the dialogue, audience interaction and production techniques were dedicated wholly to the children. Because of this, they roared with laughter at the appropriate times, were able to follow the storyline, interacted with the characters when asked and the whole experience became like a traditional pantomime. When the kids around me sat on the edge of their seat, or stood with their head poking between the heads of those sitting in the row in front of them, I peered through the darkness to see their parents beaming at their children’s engagement. I think this is the consolation for parents who bring their kids- being able to sit back and see the children enjoy a theatre production. The Marian Street Theatre does very well to engage kids.

The production was well cast, very articulate, performing their characters in unique and imaginative ways. Together, the small cast held the show, bouncing off each other and deeming each character, no matter how minor, crucial to the movement of the plot. They did well. Production-wise, the lighting was very effective in creating mood or framing a scene. Commendations to the stage and prop designer, for the versatility of the props and use of a small space to create fairy-worlds.

Rumpelstiltskin was a great production by a very thoughtful and clever theatre company. If I had children, I would take them there, because it’s not often that you find a place that celebrates the arts and culture while engaging the attention of a 4 year old. I attended with a group of friends and a boy (whom we were child-minding at the time and happened to be) of the appropriate age-group. He thoroughly enjoyed himself, being able to participate and follow the tale. For more information, visit http://www.mstyp.org.au/now-showing.html

No comments: