Pages

Sunday 4 November 2012

Great Expectations




Reviewed by Regina Su
I had great expectations for Great Expectations and by jove, they were exceeded. From the 31st of October until the 17th of November, the bAKEHOUSE Theatre Company works in conjunction with ATYP Under The Wharf to bring a classic Dickensian tale to life.
Great Expectations follows the life journey of protagonist, Pip, as he falls in love, discovers both fortune and misfortune, and learns the value of connections and acquaintances.
The show is an absolute treat to all members, I guarantee it. I, myself, am a fan of the quick wit and linguistic ironies of Master Dickens, however, my partner is not so inclined, yet I can safely say, we both had a blast watching this period English tale take the stage. I’d not known of the storyline of Great Expectations previously, but the adaptation flowed se seamlessly, I was able to follow with ease, commendations to the production team. It has been said that a Dickens work is often long and dry but on the contrary, I was captivated, engaged and enchanted for the duration of this long performance. It’s fast-paced choreography sports a collective ensemble acting as the protagonist’s consciousness and although it took me a while to become attuned to this style, it was extremely effecting in moving the plot along. Costuming, staging, lighting and a subtle soundscape just complemented the outstanding performances by passionate actors. A thoroughly enjoyable night out and, as a matter of fact, an inspirational piece of theatre for any upcoming playwright to learn from.

No comments: