Pages

Friday 8 April 2011

Dyan Tai and an Array of Energy and Colour


As someone that doesn’t spend a whole lot of time in night clubs or the heart of Kings Cross, I entered Candy’s Apartment with a hint of apprehension and a further amount of nerves when I witnessed the lighting situation (a dark room with flashing, rainbow lights). However my nerves dissipated rather rapidly and I kind of got absorbed into the colour of Dyan Tai’s album launch when he came on stage. And if it weren’t for the fact that I needed to keep my almost-2kg camera up to my face for most of the time, I probably would have found myself dancing along to the music and the beat!

If he had been nervous before his performance at all, it didn’t show. With a mix of pop and techno-ish beats, Dyan’s show was entertaining and energising, and the crowd loved it! I almost got swamped when they came forward to shake his hand during the show and almost prostrated themselves at his feet.

The show ended after four or five songs and I found myself wishing it had gone on a bit longer! Because even if you do have heavy camera equipment strung across your shoulders and neck, there’s nothing like an energetic pop show to end your week on a high note!

Having experienced the music industry as a child, I know how rough it can be to make your mark, but after Dyan’s show, I can see why he won 2010’s Sydneyvision Song Contest and I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for him!

Words and photos by Alexis Bartlett @ Peapod Photgraphy (www.peapodphoto.com)

* Catch Dyan at All Sorts Mini Band Festival on April 23rd @ Tone, Surry Hills. More information available at www.dsvision.net/allsorts

No comments: